Home Schooling Q&A
By: Department of Basic Education
About home schooling
Do you prefer to teach your child at home? If so, apply to the head of your provincial Department of Education to register your child for home schooling. You can either teach your child or hire a tutor to do so.
The lessons you offer your child must fall within the scope of the following compulsory phases of education:
- the foundation phase (grades 1 – 3)
- the intermediate phase (grades 4 – 6)
- the senior phase (grades 7 – 9)
What records do I have to keep?
After your child has been registered for home schooling, you must keep the following:
- record of attendance
- portfolio of the child’s work
- up-to-date records of the child’s progress
- portfolio of the educational support given to the child
- evidence of the continuous assessment of the child’s work
- evidence of the assessment and or examinations at the end of each year
- evidence at the end of Grades 3, 6 and 9, that shows whether your child has achieved the outcomes for these grades.
What you should do
- Apply to the head of your provincial Department of Education and take the following documents with you:
- your (parent/s) Identity Document (ID) and a certified copy of the ID
- last copy of school report (if child was in school before but if the child is only starting school now you must bring an immunisation card)
- weekly timetable which includes contact time per day
- breakdown of terms for the year (196 days per year)
- learning programme
- certified copy of child’s birth certificate
It may take up to 30 days for your application to be processed.
How much does it cost?
The service is free.
Forms to complete
The application forms can be obtained from any provincial Department of Education.
- The Joint United Nations Programme HIV/AIDS. &n...
South Africa’s National Strategic Plan on HIV, STIs and TB: 2012 – 2016. Sections of Government Document.South Africa’s National Strategic Plan on HIV, ...
- Hello Mama! by Puseletso Vikwane. Having a chil...
- Little Ones’ Check Ups: A Thank You To All Nurs...
Frequently Asked Questions About Handwashing with Soap. By the Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing.Frequently Asked Questions About Handwashing wi...