School Safety Policy
Purpose of the Policy
- The overall purpose of the policy is to ensure that the school is safe for all and that effective measures are employed to address issues related to discipline, drugs, dangerous objects, violence, bullying, rape, assault, sexual abuse, theft and robbery.
Objectives of the Policy
- To promote a safe school environment and declare the school as a Violence and Drug free zone,
- To put in place measures for the prevention of violence, rape, abuse, assault, bullying and gangsterism,
- To put in place structures to co-ordinate School Safety Programmes and to sustain gains made,
- To clearly set out the roles and responsibilities of the various stakeholders in the pursuit of a safe school environment,
- To put in place clear protocols for the recording, reporting and management of incidents.
Scope of Applicability
- This policy applies to all learners, staff members (CS and PS) and governing body of [NAME OF THE SCHOOL] and
- Matters related to the Occupational Health and Safety Act are excluded from the application of this policy.
- The Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 (Act No. 108 of 1996), as amended.
- The South African Schools, 1996 (Act No.84 of 1996), as amended. (Regulations for the Safety Measures at Public Schools, Government Notice No. 1040 October 2001 as amended).
- Employment of Educators Act, 1998 (Act No 76 of 1998), as amended.8
- South African Council of Educators, 2000 (Act No 31 of 2000), as amended.
- Control of Access to Public Premises and Vehicles, 1985 (Act No 53 of 1985).
- Fire Arms Control Act, 2000 (Act No 60 of 2000).
- Child Care Amendment Act, 1996 (Act No. 96 of 1996).
- Children’s Act, 2005 (Act No 38 of 2005)
- Children’s Amendment Act, 2007 (Act No 41 of 2007)
- Sexual Offences Act, 2007 (Act No 32 of 2007).
- Public Service Act, 1994 (Act No of 103 of 1994), as amended.
- Drugs and drugs trafficking Act, 1992 (Act No 140 of 1992).
- Guidelines for the Prevention and Management of Sexual Violence & Harassment in Public Schools, 2008.
- Guidelines and Procedure for Dealing with Suspected and Confirmed Cases of Child Abuse
Link: Full Document
- The Joint United Nations Programme HIV/AIDS. &n...
South Africa’s National Strategic Plan on HIV, STIs and TB: 2012 – 2016. Sections of Government Document.South Africa’s National Strategic Plan on HIV, ...
- Hello Mama! by Puseletso Vikwane. Having a chil...
- Little Ones’ Check Ups: A Thank You To All Nurs...
Frequently Asked Questions About Handwashing with Soap. By the Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing.Frequently Asked Questions About Handwashing wi...